This Sunday, from 11am-6pm, The Salon at Ulta will be holding its annual Cut For A Cause event to raise money for breast cancer research.
You can choose from a haircut, pink hair extensions (2) or a Microzone treatment for just $10. 100% of that $10 will be donated to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation!
I will be doing the Microzone treatments at Ulta Frisco across the street from the Stonebriar Mall. These are normally $27 and are 20-minute treatments targeted at your priority skin concern. If I could get one, I would! It is such a good deal – $10 and for a great cause!
We hope to see you all there! 🙂
Or Becoming, Forthcoming, Newcoming, or whatever your school calls it! I know there are a lot of new schools in the area, including the one my kids will go to (Braswell!), and they give it a fun name since there are no alumni to come home.
ANYWAYS. Skin! That is the focus here. Is your skin ready? What does that even mean? There are two main things to think about here:
First, most girls get their makeup done before the dance. As a makeup artist, I can tell you (unequivocally) that it is 100 MILLION TIMES EASIER to put makeup on a well-exfoliated and hydrated face. Not only is it easier, but the final result is even more radiant and stunning than you already are.
Second, everyone gets their picture taken. Boys and girls suffering from acne (even intermittent, small breakouts) will most likely want to capture a blemish-free moment. This requires prevention, which requires planning ahead.
So what can you do? Here are some options:
- Invest in a daily routine. The monetary investment is not huge when looking into something like a Dermalogica Clear Start kit (for acne), which we sell at Ulta for around $40. This includes everything you will need – face wash, toner, moisturizer, and treatment options that include salicylic acid but will not strip or dry your skin. We also have other kit options for non-acneic skin, or spot treatment options for skin that is only prone to blemishes once in awhile.
- For acne especially – invest in Microzone treatments. A combination of Microzones and self care is the BEST OPTION. Microzones are $27, 20 minute treatments that help to resolve some of the issues causing teen acne. Doing 1-2 in the weeks leading up to the dance can help with clearing and smoothing texture.
- For glowing skin on the day of, add a Microzone on to your makeup application.* What we will do is a flash exfoliation and hydration (including lips!) right before we apply your makeup. If you need a little less (i.e. you are taking care of your skin at home), we can do just a 10-minute Dewy Skin facial right before and this even makes a huge difference.
*The key here is to get your makeup done before hair.
Homecoming is a busy season for The Salon at Ulta, especially in Frisco where there are multiple schools celebrating every weekend from now through October – book ahead of time for your makeup application and if you have questions, stop by or call the salon and ask for me!
It seems arbitrary to focus on the change of seasons as a reason to invest in new skin care routines or treatments. What does the transition from summer to fall have to do with skin, isn’t that just a sales tactic? I am fairly suspicious of these types of ideas, so I have never been one to buy in to ANYTHING that is marketed this way (or for arbitrary holidays and celebrations, which is a whole other story).
However, this year I realized that I actually DO participate in this idea. Not that I realize it’s fall and immediately think, “oh, I need to do something different to my face!” but… I do make changes in my life and to my skin care routine that are intrinsically related to the change of seasons. Here’s what I realized…
- Summer is BUSY. Fall is a sigh of relief. The kids are in school, I have time to shop alone and think alone and do things for myself alone. I want massages and facials and for someone to take care of me while I decompress.
- Summer is hard on my skin. I am horrible about sunscreen and by the time it starts to cool down, I look like a lizard – a dry, scaly lizard. Give me all the moisturizers and peels and microdermabrasions ASAP.
- Fall means routines, and I don’t know about y’all with kids but I am BEST at routines in the fall when school starts. Routine = good skin care. I wash my face day and night religiously; I even remember to exfoliate and masque!
If you find yourself in the same situation, here are some ideas for fall skin treatments:
- Dewy Skin Facial (also called FaceFit): a 10 minute, $10 treatment utilizing Dermalogica’s new PhytoReplish Oil. This oil changed my face from lizard skin to baby skin – it’s seriously amazing.
- Microzones: These are 20 minute, $27 targeted treatments… I offer quite a few options here to exfoliate, moisturize, firm, etc.
- Ultracalming Treatment: This is a full hour, $67 treatment specifically for overly stressed or sensitized skin (aka those of us who forget to wear sunscreen!).
- AgeSmart Treatment: This is a full hour, $77 treatment specifically to target the visible signs of aging – since of what we see as “aging” is caused by sun exposure, we may be noticing more of these signs post-summer.
- Power Resurfacing Peel -or- Microdermabrasion: These resurfacing options can help with texture issues (dry, scaly skin) and hyper pigmentation (dark spots), as well that feeling of just wanting a new, refreshed face.
We always map your face, look for areas of concern, create treatment plans and assess home care options during our service. However, if you just want to talk about what you are using now and see what your options are, face mapping and consultations are FREE.
Stop by Ulta anytime I am there and we can talk skin!
Microzones are 20 minute, targeted facial (or hand!) treatments that are meant to achieve quick results. They can be done more often than full skin treatments, so they work in-between as touch ups, or if you would just rather have a 20 minute service for any number of reasons (time, money, scared of facials, don’t like facials, whatever the case may be).
At Ulta, I offer a few Microzone options. These are all $27 and are customizable to the needs of your skin. They are:
- Go and Glow: flash exfoliation for healthy, glowing skin
- Aging Skin: tighten skin and reduce wrinkles
- Blackhead Repair: exfoliate and extract blackheads
- Rapid Spot Clearing: clear breakouts and reduce inflammation
- Moisture Boost: rejuvenates dry, flaky, dehydrated skin
- Clear Start Teen Facial: specially formulated for teen acne
- Eye repair and hand repair add ons: exfoliate, mask, and rehydrate as an add on to any skin, hair, or brow service ($10)
After a consultation, we can decide which treatment would yield the best results for your skin!
Time to treat your self!